High Level Overview of Enterprise Architecture Establishment
Developing and sustaining an Enterprise Architecture (EA) is a technically complex process which involves many stakeholders and decision processes in the organisation. There are 4 main components in Enterprise Architecture (FTSN) as shown in the diagram below which needs to be addressed in order to ensure a successful Digital Transformation initiative and Enterprise Architecture establishment as a culture within an organisation, which are:
Figure 1: The 4 Main Components of Enterprise Architecture
- EA Framework – Adopting the right EA Framework will ensure that the organisation is able to implement, and continuously manage and govern its Enterprise Architecture in a structured manner. The EA Framework will also simplify the modelling of complex enterprises and ensure consistency of implementation across the organisation.
- EA Skillsets – Enterprise Architecture is a continuous cycle which will exists as long as the organisation exists. Therefore, having competent and skillful Enterprise Architects within the organisation is the key for a successful EA establishment. Ensuring that the internal resources’ skills and capability is sufficient to support Enterprise Architecture continuation is vital because it will allow organisation to be more agile towards business and digital disruptions and changes, instead of having to depend on external consultants each time when the business needs to change.
- EA Notation – The right notational language to describe the organisation’s EA landscape will ensure that the risk of having communication and expectation mismatched due to inability in understanding the architecture diagrams used is minimized because everyone is using the same notational language, resulting in a consistent communication between each level within the organisation.
- EA Tools & Digital Repository – Enterprise Architecture development, management and governance is a technically complex and time-consuming process and doing things manually will seriously impede the organisation’s capability to change. A proper EA tool and digital repository that is user friendly and easy to use will allow the organisation to achieve the following benefits:
- -Proper governance and ensure the quality, recency and accuracy of the organisation’s artefacts through the use of a centralised digital EA repository that also acts as the single-source-of-truth.
- -Simplify some of the impact analysis process through the use of digital EA tool’s analytics capabilities, allowing the organisation to be more agile in making business decisions and understand the impact of transformation that brings to the organisation.
- -Promote collaboration and EA establishment as a culture within the organisation as a proper centralised digital EA tool and repository platform will allow everyone within the organisation to participate in providing feedbacks and suggestions in order to promote continuous transformation and improvement culture within the organisation.
For an effective and relevant EA establishment in driving digital transformation holistically, the formation of the EA Metamodel (EA Ontology) as part of EA Framework plays a critical role to assist in better understanding of the enterprise landscape in any organisations that reflects their interdependency, interrelation and interconnectivity amongst various organisation entities. By adopting and adapting the Architecture Viewpoints from the right EA framework content metamodel, it ensures any interrelationships and interdependencies between each entities and components are properly defined and documented, allowing total visibility and full traceability to realise the digital twin of the organisation.
Through the adoption and establishment of the Digital EA Tools and Repository as a single-source-of-truth in facilitating the development of EA Metamodel and the formation of the Digital EA Map will result in the following benefits:
- -Realising the creation of Digital Twin model to conceptualise the current IT landscape and facilitate the digital transformation in driving innovations and developing new capabilities with measurable business outcomes;
- -Enforcing the governance, compliance and EA principles adherence in Business, Information System and Technology;
- -Focusing to identify opportunities through gap and impact analysis across various domains of the enterprise landscape that includes stakeholder’s motivation, strategy, business architecture, information system architecture, technology architecture; and
- -Facilitating the development of the target/future state Architecture to produce the EA Realization Roadmap plan that will be implemented through the various Transformation Project initiatives.
In addition, this will also allow both Business and IT to have similar visibility and understanding regarding various businesses and the underlying IT supporting them, ensuring greater synergy between each departments and people in managing changes within the organisation. The following diagram depicts on how EA is the centre of control for the enterprise execution from strategy to implementation and operation:
Figure 2: EA as the Center of Control for Enterprise Execution
Ensuring enterprise architecture as a culture within an organisation needs proper planning that consider every parts of the organisation. With the right approaches, methods, deployment strategies and relevant experiences in establishing Enterprise Architecture as a culture, organisations will ensure reposition and realignment of IT initiative to current business needs and environment.
View our On-demand webinar video on Achieving Successful Enterprise Architecture
Author: Aaron Tan Dani
President of Singapore Computer Society EA-Chapter [email protected]
Founder and Chairman of Iasa Asia Pacific [email protected]
Chief Architect of ATD Solution [email protected]
Join the EA activities in Singapore and learn how you can implement Digital-Business-driven EA in your organisation.
Computer Society EA-Chapter: http://www.scs.org.sg/Chapter/ea-homepage
Learn more about ITABoK (IT Architecture Body of Knowledge) skillsets and about the roles, scopes and impacts of EA Specializations.
Acquire successful Digital Transformation adoption with ATD Enterprise Architecture consulting and training services.
ATD Solution: www.atdsolution.com